Our 21 Day Challenge*
Wholesome and then some
Small is mighty, and wholegrain oats prove it. Adding them to your diet has a list of benefits for your body and your wellbeing. From promoting a healthy digestive system and heart, to helping you feel fuller for longer – they can really help brighten up your day.
And something as small as swapping out some of your snacks and lunchtime staples to wholegrain oats isn’t just smart, it’s easy too. Wholegrain oats can slip smoothly into your routine for a nutritional boost and a delicious, natural treat that will leave you feeling satisfied – not craving more.
Food for thought
Psychologists say it takes 21 days to establish a new healthy habit. Here are a few ways you could add some energising oats into your day, without feeling like you’re missing out on your favourite treats, snacks and meals.
Starting the day right
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so start it right. You’d be surprised how much sugar is in many breakfast cereals, so try Nairn’s Fruit & Seed Muesli or Oats Your Way flavoured porridge instead.
Lunch with more munch
If you usually reach for a sandwich during your lunch break, try swapping your bread for oatcakes or one of our flatbreads. You can still add your favourite filling, or get creative with whatever you’ve got in the fridge or cupboards. They’re also a great side to a salad or soup to give that extra crunch.
Get the knack of snacks
If you’re partial to something sweet to keep you going, make the change from your usual sugary snacks to one of our Nairn’s Oat Bars – they have a whopping 40% less sugar than the average cereal bar. Their flapjacky texture and intense flavour means you’ll still feel indulgent, but with natural ingredients and the goodness oats bring.
A mid-day pick-me-up
Oatcakes are generally higher in fibre than rice cakes. By choosing them instead, you’ll feel fuller for longer, benefit from a slower release of energy and embrace all the goodness of wholegrain oats.
Don’t forget the savoury
Whenever you get the taste for something a little more savoury, swap fried crisps and salty snacks for Nairn’s Snackers or Pop Oats. Our Pop Oats are 83 calories per bag – way lower than the average bag of crisps.
Something with your evening brew
We know a cuppa tastes twice as nice with a biscuit. But try a Nairn’s Oat Biscuit instead. They’re crumbly, come in a variety of flavours, are totally dunkable and have up to 55% less sugar than your average sweet biscuit – bonus.
Oats are a bit of a super food, filled with all the goodness our bodies need to feel good. Here are a few of the benefits that come from adding some oat swaps into your diet.
They’re packed full of fibre
Fibre is essential for a healthy digestive system, but many of us don’t get enough. Oats are a fantastic source of fibre so naturally products like our Oat Bars and Pop Oats are helpful in hitting that recommended 30g a day. Swapping one slice of white bread for two Nairn’s Organic Oatcakes instantly doubles your fibre intake.
With more fibre, you can expect lots of benefits…
- It can help you feel fuller for longer and prevent that energy dip that can lead to you craving more sugar or carbohydrates.
- If you have digestive problems such as bloating, gas or constipation, you could find these symptoms improve within the 21 days you try out your new healthy habit.
- Fibre helps bulk up the contents of the digestive tract and can lead to easier, more regular bowel movements.
- Wholegrain oats release their energy slowly so you may experience a range of other benefits related to better blood sugar control. These include improvements in energy, concentration and focus, mood, hormone balance and sleep.
- Oats provide more natural vitamins and minerals.
- Oats are a prebiotic which ‘feed’ the bifidobacteria in our gut and increase their numbers. There’s a strong connection between the gut and the immune system. The bacteria use oat fibre to produce substances that nourish the gut wall, helping to keep it healthy.
They help reduce your sugar intake
Our range of products are made with wholegrain oats and simple, natural ingredients. They’re also made with significantly less sugar than their alternatives.
With less sugar, you can expect even more benefits…
- You could find that your sugar cravings reduce because you’ve lowered your sugar intake.
- Your taste buds should also adapt to slightly less sweetness, and you might even find that regular sweet biscuits no longer tempt you!
- Reducing your sugar intake can improve the balance of bacteria in the gut.
- Sugar often contributes to skin problems such as acne and breakouts, so cutting your sugar intake could help you clear some of them.
- You might also experience a range of benefits from having steadier blood sugar levels, such as better concentration, energy and mood.
Simple Swaps isn’t about turning your whole day on its head. It’s about finding the easy alternatives that work for you. Start by making one smart swap and you might find that with the benefits to your health and wellness, you could get a hunger for more. We hope you’re feeling inspired to give some a go.
*This is not medical advice, but simple tips to show how easy it is to get wholegrain oats into your diet. If in doubt, please speak to your dietician, doctor or nutritionist.