Sticky BBQ Jackfruit, Melted Vegan Cheese & Coriander
- After draining the jackfruit, squeeze out the water
- Separate it into thin ‘pulled’ shreds, and transfer it onto a lightly oiled ovenproof dish or sheet.
- Season with the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper stir the jackfruit until it is lightly coated in the oil and seasoning
- Grill the jackfruit and cheese on a medium heat, turning as it begins to colour on the edges - keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn!
- When the jackfruit has dried a little and taken on some colour remove it
- Add your barbeque sauce to the same pan and coat the jackfruit well, be careful as the pan will be very hot, use oven gloves if required. When coated, stir through a small handful of coriander to taste
- Top the oatcakes with a general spoonful of the jackfruit and spread to the edges so that they are completely covered (you will be grilling them so this is to avoid them from burning
- Top this with vegan cheese to taste and return to the grill - remove when the cheese has melted and drizzle a little of the remaining sauce over each one and some chopped coriander to garnish and fresh red chilli or chilli flakes (optional)
This tasty vegan recipe uses BBQ jackfruit and vegan cheese to create an oatcake bite with a bit of spice. Serves 2-4 as a light bite.
- 8 Nairn’s Oatcakes (this recipe used the Nairn’s Organic Oatcakes)
- BBQ Sauce mixed with sriracha to taste, you can buy the BBQ sauce, or or mix 3 tablespoons of thick teriyaki sauce to 1 tables
- 1 small can young jackfruit drained very well A handful of grated vegan cheese for topping - alternatively, you can purchase r
- A handful of chopped coriander or other herb such as basil or parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon of oil to grill the jackfruit and a drizzle for the frying pan
- Red chilli - optional