Walnut Butter with Apple, Maple Walnuts and Cacao Powder Topping
- For the walnut butter
- 300g walnuts
- For the maple walnuts
- 40g walnuts
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- To serve
- 1 apple sliced
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
To make your own walnut butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C. Add the walnuts to a baking sheet and place on the middle shelf of the oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the walnuts to cool completely.
- Once the walnuts have completely cooled add them to a food processor and blend for 15 minutes until they become a creamy nut butter.
- Transfer the nut butter to a jar. Store in a cool dark place and eat within 4 weeks.
To make the maple walnuts
- Pour the maple syrup into a small frying pan and gently heat until bubbles start to appear.
- Add the walnuts and continue to cook until they are completely coated and become sticky.
- Transfer the maple walnuts to a bowl. Slice the apple into segments and place on a plate.
- Squeeze over a little lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
To serve, top your Nairn’s Fine Milled oatcake with 3 slices of apple, a teaspoon of walnut butter, a couple of maple walnuts and a dusting of cacao powder.